Question:

From Michigan, USA:

Where can I get the best care for my situation? I am 28 years old, type 1 diabetic for 15 years. I experienced 3 miscarriages back about 7 and 8 years ago. I was told my levels for Lupus were raised but that it was "clinically insignificant".

My doctor said the miscarriages were probably due to uncontrolled diabetes at the start of pregnancy. I am skeptical of this explanation because I was in very good control during the second and third pregnancy. My control was not so good for the first one.

I have a new endocrinologist now, and she says keeping diabetes in good control is dangerous. I received excellent care from children's hospital and the Barbara Davis Center during my teen years, but now I live in Michigan and it seems hard to find quality care, especially all in one hospital. I do not want to suffer another miscarriage! I currently use a hospital in a small town in Michigan.

I would like to hear from other Type Ones who have trouble carrying to term.

ACAR4@compuserve.com

Answer:

The cause of your pregnancy losses may be difficult to determine. Poor glucose control can contribute to a loss as well as to congenital abnormalities. However, there may be other nondiabetic causes as well. I often have patients come to my office pregnant and in poor control, but this does not always result in a miscarriage. Therefore, I think you need a more thorough evaluation to determine a cause of your losses.

Tight glucose control is important for an optimal outcome of pregnancy, but the risk you run is hypoglycemic events.

Posted to Family Planning