From Clementon, NJ:

I have 5 year old diabetic daughter, she was diagnosed at age 3. It seems just recently (in the past few months) she has developed temper tantrums right before dinner cause she doesn't like what we are having, her blood glucose is not low but a good number such as 90. Now her tantrums get very bad, so to the point she almost hyperventilates, and all her carrying on make her sugar go lower than it was. We are afraid to give in to this tantrum but yet are afraid of her low sugar reaction. And we also seen this pretty much looks like a act that shes trying to get her own way. Any suggestions on which to treat for and help in these tantrums? I will add that she has never had these fits till last three months I'm hoping it's not from the start of school and meeting other kids.

I think school starting may very well have given you this challenge, but hang in there. First of all, I think it best to talk to your diabetes team as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, ask her how school is going and if she has new friends. Maybe they can join your family for a meal. Also ask if she would like to choose between 2 realistic (to you and her) options for supper (examples: pizza, salad, sugar-free pudding, diet soda or hot dog on bun, carrots and dip, piece of fruit and milk). You will need her help in the preparation of either.