From Florida, USA:

I am 28 and in my 31st week of pregnancy. I have recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I have been monitoring my levels for about a week and a half now; some are okay, some borderline, and some high. I figure my chances for having to take insulin for the remainder of my pregnancy are pretty good. What are the risks associated with insulin for both myself and my unborn?

The types of insulin commonly used (Regular and NPH) do not cross the placenta in any significant amount and therefore do not have any direct effect on the fetus. There is some concern about a type of insulin called Humalog and its use early in pregnancy, but you will probably not be using this type. The only risk would be if you took too much insulin and became significantly hypoglycemic. With careful instruction and monitoring of your blood sugar values, this should not happen.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes