Question:

From Toronto, ONtario, Canada:

I'm asking this question on behalf of a member of my familiy (in Romania). My friend is 25-26 years old and was diagosed with diabetes very early in her childhood. I'm not sure about the type of diabetes, what they told me is she has insulin dependent diabetes. She has problem whith her eyes, her retina is starting to detach from the eye and they are asking whether her crystalin can be surgically replaced -- where, how, what are the chances?

Answer:

I am not an expert on detatched retinas but your relative must get skilled eye surgery very soon. If the problem is caught early then the effect on sight is partly dependent upon where on the retina the detachment is and the cause. I have no knowledge of what facilities are available in Romania.