From Junction City, ORegon, USA:

My son is 18 years old and has had Type 1 since he was 9 years old. He is 6'3" and around 240 lbs. I've noticed that he is gaining weight a lot lately and I'm obviously concerned. He takes Humolog and NPH in the A.M. and Humolog at dinner and NPH at bedtime. He hasn't been keeping track of anything, used to rely on his meter but doesn't use it that often anymore either. He hasn't been to the endocroinologist in at least a year. He's never been readmitted since the first diagnosis of age 9. He eats everything in sight and he said he's hungry all the time. I tried to tell him that he needs to check his blood sugar more and keep on top of it. He doesn't like hearing Mom tell him, so I thought maybe you could advise him of his weight gain and what he needs to possibly do to keep from getting out of control.

This story is the bread and butter of diabetes management. It's pretty clear that your son is going through a bad patch when he doesn't pay any attention to his diabetes at all.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to be very practical. The most important thing is to get him to a clinic for a checkup. He needs to have his blood pressure, urine and eyes checked. This doesn't mean that he has to become a model citizen in one step. The next move would be to get him to check, say, 3-5 blood sugars a week at different times of day.

His weight gain is almost certainly due to inappropriate calorie intake but he should have his thyroid checked too.

Sometimes parents find that appealing to their offspring's sense of adulthood is more effective than nagging but no one approach always works. If your son is involved in any sport then he may respond to the idea that his performance will be greatly enhanced by weight loss and better blood sugar control.

Check if your diabetes centre runs an adolescent clinic which may appeal more than an adult clinic. Finally, consider persuading your son to attend a diabetes camps next year -- they can be great motivators.

Posted to Daily Care and Behavior