Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My 11-year-old son was diagnosed 3 days ago with type 1. We call the doctor in the morning and in the evening for his dosage of insulin. We will be doing this for about 2 to 3 months, I'm told. I would like to start trying to calculate his dosage myself for practice. Of course I will use the doctor's dosage other than my own. But I feel the practice can't hurt and I will be able to check my accuracy by her recommendations. My problem is I have no idea how to calculate the insulin dose. If you could help me fine a calculation chart or a means of doing an accurate calculation I would greatly appreciate it.

Answer:

The "art" of insulin adjustment is naturally learned over time. It sounds as though you'll have an excellent opportunity working with your doctor by phone. With a little experience you will be able to adjust your son's insulin dose. There is no one way to adjust insulin, but check out the information in Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D., for a start.

The insulin needs during the honeymoon period are likely to be quite different than the needs after the honeymoon period. Use this time to learn and read as much as you can. I encourage my patients to adjust their insulin based on patterns by time of day, changes in food and exercise, and the current blood sugar. It is important to have careful guidelines and to work with a knowledgeable diabetes care team to learn insulin adjustment.

LM

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin