Question:

From Jackson Mississippi, uSA:

I am a 28 year old female. I am in the 13th week of my fourth pregnancy. In my second pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. According to the doctors, I consequently have hypoglycemia. My second and third children have had episodes of seizures and inability to awaken which resulted in hospital stays. Doctors say their blood sugar levels were too low, which caused these symptoms.

What are the odds of my fourth baby having the same problems? Will hypoglycemia eventually turn into diabetes? What can I do to prevent Gestational Diabetes during this pregnancy? I have already been having extensive problems with my blood sugar, but the doctor doesn't seem concerned.

Answer:

It is likely that the problems your children experienced may have been related to your diabetes. If your blood sugars during the pregnancy are high, then the fetus will be making extra insulin. After the baby is born, it is still making all the extra insulin, but no longer exposed to excessive sugar. Therefore, the baby's blood sugar will plummet. It will be important to keep your blood sugar under good control during your pregnancy to minimize this occurrence.

It may not be possible to prevent gestational diabetes. But attention to proper diet and glucose control will reduce the risks associated with this problem.

Hypoglycemia should not necessarily turn into diabetes. But you are at risk for future diabetes because of your pregnancy history.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Hypoglycemia