From Bloomfield, Indiana, USA:

I am 27 years old and have had diabetes since I was 5. I have recently gotten married and am anticipating having a baby. My sugars have been up and down in the past. But recently they have been very good (last 3 months). I would like to know if I could possibly have a normal baby and when would be the best time to try and conceive? I started on the pill about a year ago and the doctor said I should have no trouble having children. My endocrinologist is the best around and I trust him with my life. I feel very lucky to have him on my side! I'm just afraid that something bad could happen to me or my future baby. I want to have a long and healthy life with my husband and any future children.

Probably one of the most significant factors contributing to successful pregnancy outcome is preconceptual glucose control. Basically the closer that fasting and postprandial blood sugar values are to normal (I use <105 mg/dl fasting, and <130 mg/dl at 1 hour postprandial as guidelines) the greater the likelihood that the risk of congenital abnormalities will be minimized. Therefore, as long as your blood sugar has been in good control, then trying for a pregnancy is reasonable. Since you have had long standing diabetes, it will be important that other tests be done such as renal function tests and ophthalmologic examination.

With the assistance of a team of specialists: obstetrician, endocrinologist, dietitian, you should be able to get through a pregnancy without too much difficulty.

Posted to Family Planning