Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I first developed symptoms of diabetes about 3 months ago, and was diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I'm 44. My endocrinologist says he is happy with the way my blood sugars are coming down. The problem is blurriness of vision. (I had a complete ophthamological exam in September; the doctor said my eyes were "perfect.") People tell me this is just a temporary condition but how temporary will it be? I'm going crazy not being able to see. (I needed to use a magnifying glass to compose this message.) Help!

Answer:

When high blood sugars are brought down to normal (or nearly normal levels), it's very common to have some temporary worsening of vision. And sometimes it's almost disabling. This problem is entirely different from diabetic retinopathy, which is a result of many years of elevated blood sugar levels.

Yes, it will be temporary. But how temporary? Probably a lot longer than you would want! I'd tell my patients to expect the blurriness to last a few weeks to a few months. During the adjustment period, it's really not worth buying expensive new glasses, as your refraction will change and probably return to "normal" later.

P.S.: Despite (or because of) having to use a magnifying glass, your typing was perfect.

WWQ

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Complications