Question:

Somewhat over a year ago, shortly after his third birthday, my son was put in the hospital with pneumonia, and an ear infection. He also had a blood sugar level of 405. They gave him a small dose of insulin, and sent him to a children's hospital. He was monitored by an endocrinologist for several days. She diagnosed him as stress hyperglycemic. He had the antibodies test which came back negative.

He had not had a high episode since, until last week. When I picked him up from daycare he was not feeling well and complained of a bad headache. (There is a type of flu going around where the first symptoms are a headache). However, after I picked him up from daycare at around 5 P.M., we did not decide to check his sugar until 6:45. It was 177. At around 8:00 P.M. he ate a can of chicken noodle soup. We checked again at 9:00 P.M. and it was 136. The next morning we checked it at 6:00 A.M. and it was 82. For the next two days following we checked it four times a day. All ranges were 83 to 101. The highest being one night an hour after dinner which was 115. He does not have any symptoms such as excessive thirst, hunger, urination, or loss of weight. Last winter he was sick a lot and even had a bad case of chicken pox. In most cases his temperature were be between 103, and 105. However when we check his sugar levels during those times, he never had a high sugar reading. Does this case sound like a child in the early stages of Type 1 diabetes, or someone who is slowly having their islets destroyed and will eventually develop the disease?

There are cases of type 2 diabetes on my mothers side of the family. My mother's brother's daughter developed type 1 diabetes when she was 11; she is now 35. My husband does not have diabetes on his side of the family. I do not have it either.

Answer:

If the antibodies are negative and the blood sugars are now normal (note: a meter isn't accurate enough to tell the difference between normal and slightly high blood sugars), the chances are good that your child is not in the early stages of developing diabetes, though the history of a first cousin with type 1 diabetes increases his risk slightly. It will be important to test his urine and blood for sugar in the future when he is sick. We've discussed the issue of transient and stress related high blood sugars in previous Diabetes Team questions.