From Texas, USA:

My teenage son was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. He was living with his father at the time; now he's going to live with me and I need more information on the diet and sugar content of foods, etc. He is on a sliding scale of insulin twice a day and he's supposed to monitor his sugar every day. He does not monitor his sugar levels and I'm concerned. I need to educate myself so I will be able to help him. They did not know at the time if he was Type 1 or 2. He gets angry at me when I push him. Please help me.

My hunch is that your son is Type 1, if he is a teenager. If this is the case, he should indeed be monitoring his blood sugar at least daily. I will defer to my dietitian team members regarding sugar content in various foods.

I encourage you to have an ongoing relationship with an endocrinologist in order to educate yourself and assist your son when he comes to live with you.

You may not be popular for urging your son to monitor his sugar; but you have to risk that for his well being.

[Editor's comment: If you will be cooking meals for you and your son, and are unsure about meal planning, I'd suggest you contact your own physician, or the nearest hospital, to find a dietitian who can help you learn more. WWQ]