Question:

From Georgia, USA:

Approximately two hours ago, my six year old daughter was diagnosed with "juvenile diabetes". My husband and I are considered "low" income and are uninsured, and we're scared!

Is insulin the only way to treat Type 1 diabetes? If it is, are there any agencies you are aware of that can donate supplies or give a discounted rate on diabetic supplies? I would also like to know if this disease will keep my beautiful daughter from some day having children of her own? I really don't know anything yet, but I am dying to know just as much as you can tell me. Any information about juvenile diabetes will help in this case. Please, help me!

Answer:

By the time you read this reply, I expect that you and your daughter and your entire family will probably be a little more relaxed, and probably will have "surfed" through the Children with DIABETES website and learned a lot more!

Yes, insulin's the only medication that will work.

See Paying for diabetes expenses and Insurance/Costs for some other answers to similar questions. Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints that should help you find a nearby pediatric endocrinology specialist.

Keep your chin up: as you and your daughter learn more, things will fall into place!

WWQ

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs