From Georgia, USA:

Approximately two hours ago, my six year old daughter was diagnosed with "juvenile diabetes". My husband and I are considered "low" income and are uninsured, and we're scared!

Is insulin the only way to treat Type 1 diabetes? If it is, are there any agencies you are aware of that can donate supplies or give a discounted rate on diabetic supplies? I would also like to know if this disease will keep my beautiful daughter from some day having children of her own? I really don't know anything yet, but I am dying to know just as much as you can tell me. Any information about juvenile diabetes will help in this case. Please, help me!

By the time you read this reply, I expect that you and your daughter and your entire family will probably be a little more relaxed, and probably will have "surfed" through the Children with DIABETES website and learned a lot more!

Yes, insulin's the only medication that will work.

See Paying for diabetes expenses and Insurance/Costs for some other answers to similar questions. Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints that should help you find a nearby pediatric endocrinology specialist.

Keep your chin up: as you and your daughter learn more, things will fall into place!

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs