Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Dec 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son was very recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He is 18 and has always been a great athlete. Are there any articles or books written about athletes with diabetes who excelled in their sport? (31 Dec 1998)

2. My 4-year-old daughter has type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed at the age of 2 1/2. I been recently seeing a chiropracter who said he might be able to cure her diabetes with therapy. (31 Dec 1998)

3. My 4 year old son was recently diagnosed with pre-clinical diabetes. His endocrinologist has put him on 0.5 units R and 2.5 units UL in the morning and 1 unit of Lente at bedtime. Do you have any information on the effectiveness of this early onset insulin therapy? (31 Dec 1998)

4. My overnight fasting glucose varied between 120 and 128 for the past three months. Is the high glucose worrysome? (31 Dec 1998)

5. What is the latest in research in alternative treatment for diabetes? (31 Dec 1998)

6. My 6 year old son just had an intravenous glucose tolerence test. Can you give me the guidelines for the normal ranges for glucose, insulin and C-peptide for the 1,3,5,7 and 10 minute timepoints? (31 Dec 1998)

7. What is the best diet to prescribe for someone who has diabetes and is prone to it? (31 Dec 1998)

8. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 26 years. During several low blood sugar episodes I have experienced "fuzzy" or no memory of what occurred during that time. It is as if I have blacked out, but to those around me I am conscious. Is this unusual or merely a normal symptom of hypolgycemia? (31 Dec 1998)

9. My daughter is 8 years old, and diabetes was detected a week ago. What do you suggest for her so she won't hate the insulin needle? (31 Dec 1998)

10. I have had diabetes for about 24 years and now I am 30 years old. I wonder what's the latest research for a real solution. Will it possible in the near future? (31 Dec 1998)

11. Would it be wise for the school nurse to have a "glucagon shot" syringe at school in case my 17 year old daughter should need it? Also, is there a place we can order supplies at a lower cost? We can barely afford the supplies required. (29 Dec 1998)

12. My 11 year old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. Is it safe for her to get in a hot tub Jacuzzi? (29 Dec 1998)

13. My daughter was diagnosed type 1 at the age of 16 months. I have heard that people with type A blood group are more likely to develop diabetes. (29 Dec 1998)

14. I am sixteen and have had diabetes for 11 years and have recently been diagnosed with diabetic cheiroarthropathy and diabetic stiff hands. No one I ask seems to have much information on this condition; could you please help me? (29 Dec 1998)

15. Having used Beef/Pork Iletin for 23 years (I am now 53), I am concerned about the mandatory switchover to human insulin. Are the activities of the two forms the same? (29 Dec 1998)

16. Have you heard of any problem with the [brand name deleted] meter? My daughter is now into her second machine of the same brand because the first one stopped working. (29 Dec 1998)

17. Is there any hope that pancreas transplantation could happen in the future? Do you think that people are aware enough that this could be a possibility? (29 Dec 1998)

18. Our 3 year old son was diagnosed several weeks ago but his Islet Antibody test was negative. One strange result was an Anti-gluten IgG result was positive. (29 Dec 1998)

19. Is there a difference in caloric value between dextrose and glucose? (29 Dec 1998)

20. I am a 14 year old female who has had Type 1 diabetes for a little over two years. I was thinking about going on an insulin pump because at my last doctor's visit my HbA1c was 10.5. What do you think? (28 Dec 1998)

21. My 4.5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost one year ago. At present he is taking mix 20 insulin (20 units) and is experiencing very erratic readings, ranging from 1.8 to 27 mmol. (28 Dec 1998)

22. I need help understanding a diabetic-related yeast infection that came out on my 14-year-old daughter's skin. Why would a yeast infection show on the skin and what does that mean is going on inside her body? (28 Dec 1998)

23. Prediabetes as a medical condition appears in a recent reference I was looking at. The Russians deliberately induced it in dogs in the early 1900s. Is it possible it now has a new name? Perhaps onset diabetes? (28 Dec 1998)

24. Is there any research or information regarding the correlation between the onset of puberty and drastic blood sugar fluctuations and is there a physiological link between the two? (25 Dec 1998)

25. My 14 year old daughter has Type I diabetes. I have had other parents tell me about how their children have shown signs of hypoglycemia and I am very worried about my child. I would like to know if you could identify some of the signs and tell me what time of the day she would most likely show these signs. (25 Dec 1998)

26. We have a son with neurogenic diabetes insipidus. Last year our youngest child was diagnosed with a variant form of MSUD. With the rarity of DI and mitochondrial diseases we are wondering if there could be a connection. (24 Dec 1998)

27. My niece is seven years old, has been on insulin twice daily for 4 years; blood sugar level is not well controlled. Is she a good candidate for insulin by mouth or better yet, insulin pump? (24 Dec 1998)

28. I have an granddaughter who had 95% of her pancreas removed when she was 6 weeks old. Her feet and legs and knees are hurting her. Is there anywhere we can get information about what is causing this? (24 Dec 1998)

29. My son, aged 6, has had Type 1 diabetes for 16 months. His HA1C's have been 5.9, 6.2, 5.9. 6.4 and 7.1. Does this increase in his A1C mark the end of his honeymoon period? (24 Dec 1998)

30. I was wondering about the statistics of deaths related to diabetes in the past, and deaths related to diabetes currently. (24 Dec 1998)

31. My father's mother died of diabetes in the mid 50's. I have been very careful about my sugar intake taking into consideration that diabetes is hereditary. Along the way I have experienced some hypoglycemic reactions. (24 Dec 1998)

32. My son is 6 years old with Type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. His blood sugars go from 16 up to so high the meter will not read it. Also my son has been having seizures along with all of this. What can I do to prevent the siezures and control his blood sugars? (24 Dec 1998)

33. I recently was told about a study at USC that combined electrotherapy with medication, for the treatment of neuropathy. I cannot find any info on the web about this study and wonder if you have, or if you could point me in the right direction? (24 Dec 1998)

34. My aunt showed me an article out of a newspaper. The article said that an Egyptian Doctor named Seyyid Ferghal found a treatment for diabetes. It said that this new medicine is able to re-activate the non-working Langerhans-cells. (24 Dec 1998)

35. My father is a diabetic and at Christmas and Thanksgiving we have a real hard time finding recipes for him that he can eat. He likes sweet potatoes with the marshmallow topping and I don't know how to do it for him. (24 Dec 1998)

36. I'm a diabetic at university and quite frequently go out with my flatmates. They nearly always end up drunk. Am I sensible to drink a little? Can I afford to be drunk? Or should I not drink at all? (23 Dec 1998)

37. My 11 year old son is having trouble concentrating at school. His blood glucose levels have been fluctuating wildly. Is this part of the disease or should it be treated as a separate issue? (23 Dec 1998)

38. My 4 year old son had a sugar level of 125. I just took him to the doctor for a fasting glucose blood sugar. What are the chances that this test will show that he is not a diabetic? (23 Dec 1998)

39. I have been on the multi-dose insulin regimen for over 30 years. In an effort to maintain my blood sugar in an optimal range, I need a syringe that would divide a unit into tenths of a unit. Is there a syringe available that is divided into increments of 1/10 unit? (23 Dec 1998)

40. My father was diagnosed with diabetes about six months ago. He is 50 years old and he thinks that this disease has got the best of him and he is really down and depressed. (20 Dec 1998)

41. My grandson is 10 months old. I would like to know symptoms of diabetes in infants. His cousin, age 6, almost went into diabetic coma. (20 Dec 1998)

42. My boyfriend has diabetes and, in my opinion, is not under control. We are interested in starting a family and have had unprotected sex for 8-10 months without any success. Please discuss diabetic complications with regard to infertility in men. (20 Dec 1998)

43. My son was diagnosed with type one diabetes at 18 months. He is now 2 1/2 years. My question is about separation anxiety. He won't let me out of his sight. (20 Dec 1998)

44. Does high altitude affect blood sugar? Could regular work at high altitude cause or bring on Type 2? (20 Dec 1998)

45. My daughter was just diagnosed and is terrified of the skin pricks. I read of a swab that will numb the skin temporarily. Do you have any information on this? Is it a good idea? (17 Dec 1998)

46. My 21 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1. I've noticed she has had a lot more gas since she started eating sugar free foods. Could they be the cause? (17 Dec 1998)

47. My 1 year 9 month old granddaughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She has to have her blood sugar tested 4 times daily. Are there lancets in the market that are more suitable for a baby's tender skin? (17 Dec 1998)

48. Can Type 1 diabetes in a 15 year old female affect short term memory? (17 Dec 1998)

49. Can you give me any references to the role of magnesium in diabetes and whether supplements can be useful? (17 Dec 1998)

50. I have diabetes and joint inflamation. Should I take supplements such as glucosamine or chondroitin? (17 Dec 1998)

51. I'm looking for information on adult onset Type 1 diabetes. Most Type 1 info focuses on children (as your site does) and most adult diabetes discussions focus on Type 2. (15 Dec 1998)

52. My 25 year old daughter has diabetes. I'm worried sick after I learn that she's pregnant. (15 Dec 1998)

53. I have a 21 year old non-diabetic acquaintance who has taken insulin. Could she develop hypoglycemic symptoms or could it affect her body's production of insulin? (15 Dec 1998)

54. I am 43, and have had diabetes for 29 years. Every time I've tried to start an exercise program, I get "rewarded" with a lot of low blood sugars, so I give up. Any ideas? (15 Dec 1998)

55. I was wondering whether Humalog can be administered intravenously in an emergency. (15 Dec 1998)

56. My 13 year old daughter has had diabetes for five years now and also has been diagnosed as hypothyroid. Her blood sugars are higher than they were two months ago also. Can the thyroid gland affect blood sugars and if so how? (13 Dec 1998)

57. I'm an 18 year old female, and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia two years ago. There have been numerous times that my sugar dropped so suddenly that I lost consciousness at work. How do I keep my sugar even enough to lead a normal life at college? (13 Dec 1998)

58. I have been frequently getting ketones when my blood sugars are in the 100-200 mg/dl range. This occurs when I have not eaten for several hours and/or have exercised for 30 minutes. Is this anything to be concerned about? (13 Dec 1998)

59. I am a freshman at Indiana University and I have been having a real hard time with eating right. How do I control my servings with a fast food style eating? (13 Dec 1998)

60. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. He plays football for our local high school. How will we know how many carbs to give him prior to practice? (13 Dec 1998)

61. My niece died a month ago due to complications to diabetes. She was only 10 years of age and never had any health problems. One day, she was diagnosed with diabetes and the next day, went into a diabetic coma. (12 Dec 1998)

62. I am 15 and have had diabetes for 2 years. I like beer and I am disturbed to see that you can only drink twice a week. Are there any alternatives? (12 Dec 1998)

63. What is the treatment for a newborn that can't maintain a sugar level, and is suspected of having problems with his adrenal glands? What is the prognosis for a normal life? (12 Dec 1998)

64. I am a principal and I have a student in my school who has a mother with diabetes. The mother has lost her leg due to the disease and has other organ deterioration. Is there a good source for children to read to help them cope with a parent who has diabetes? (12 Dec 1998)

65. My 12 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes for over one year now. In the past three months her blood sugar are going up very high at night. It doesn't matter if she has a snack or not. They might go from 71 to 375 with no snack. (11 Dec 1998)

66. Is there any higher incidence of juvenile diabetes in areas with chlorinated water? (11 Dec 1998)

67. My son is 4 years old. He was diagnosed about a year ago. He is currently on NPH/Humalog mix -- 2 shots per day. Controlling blood sugar levels has been difficult. Would carbohydrate counting work while using the mixture of the two insulins? (11 Dec 1998)

68. My 5 year old daughter has had type 1 diebetes for about 1 year. She has always complained of "tummyaches" since she was diagnosed. Is this normal? (11 Dec 1998)

69. I have a friend who has diabetes. He's about 30 and has 2 kids. One of his daughters, 11, is overweight (she's about 190 and about 5'4"). They're all American Indian. What's her chance of getting diabetes? (11 Dec 1998)

70. I'm contacting you regarding an 11 year old girl who has had Type 1 diabetes for several years (since age 6, I believe). Currently, she has problems with peers and temper tantrums. (11 Dec 1998)

71. I'm a 20 year old female, and have had type 1 for 5 years. My doctor just prescribed Glucophage. She says I have a resistance to the insulin. I'm concerned with the side effects of this drug. (11 Dec 1998)

72. My mother is being treated with medication. Her blood sugar was 160 last week and her doctor upped her medication. Yesterday it was 180. She is vomiting heavily quite often and her bowels are running off. I'm very worried. (11 Dec 1998)

73. I was wondering if you are aware of any scholarship opportunities for nursing (RN) programs for type 1 diabetics. (9 Dec 1998)

74. We have notice a lot of new foods with alcohol sugars. Exactly how do these sugars affect diabetes? (9 Dec 1998)

75. My 15 year old has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I need to know what can she eat? What does this really mean being type 2? (8 Dec 1998)

76. I would like to know if there is any material (product) that is capable of detecting the effectiveness of an insulin vial. For example, how can I tell if the insulin vial has been subject to extreme heat and has been refregirated just before I have bought it? (8 Dec 1998)

77. Our son is 5 1/2 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. With the cold season at our door, I wanted to get your opinion on Zinc supplements for treating the common cold. I know that most of the lozenges have a sucrose base and I wonder how this will affect his blood sugar levels. (8 Dec 1998)

78. Could you please give some information regarding LACTAID? (8 Dec 1998)

79. When should a woman diagnosed with gestational diabetes have follow-up testing done to determine if she has adult-onset diabetes? (8 Dec 1998)

80. Why can't people with diabetes use a foot massager to warm their feet? (8 Dec 1998)

81. I have had diabeties since I was 12, I am now 52. My doctor wants to put me on Rezulin. Everything I have read says that Rezulin is for Type 2 diabeties and I am Type 1. Should I take it or not? (8 Dec 1998)

82. I'm 34, male, and 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My doctor thinks if I lose another 80 pounds I should be back to normal. Is that true? (8 Dec 1998)

83. I'm 33 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes since my 7th birthday. I need to find alternative medications for my high blood pressure (lisinopril) and cholesterol (Zocor) during my planned pregnancy in the next 2-3 months. (8 Dec 1998)

84. I have a 4 year old niece with Type 1 diabetes. Is there an available gadget used to administer insulin painlessly? What about an oral medication for this type of diabetes? (8 Dec 1998)

85. Patrick Wright reports in his new book, Food for Humans, about the etiologies and cures of both types of diabetes. Do you make use of this knowledge of prevention and cure of diabetes? (6 Dec 1998)

86. Is it possible for diabetic teenagers (my daughter is 16, Type I) to spend a year at an American high school? We were just rejected by ASPECT solely on the grounds of diabetes. (6 Dec 1998)

87. My 3 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 several months ago. His father is type 1, diagnosed at age 7. Because of my husband's family history, I want to closely monitor my 13 month old daughter. What is the best time of day to test her? (6 Dec 1998)

88. I have a 9 year old daughter who was diagnosed 2 years ago. The first year was a breeze as far as keeping her blood sugars within the normal range but the last year, especially the last 3-4 months, it has been more difficult to manage. (6 Dec 1998)

89. My son was diagnosed one year ago at age 3. Within one month, my neighbor's son was diagnosed. I think there may be some benefit in tracing a commonality here in the hopes of finding the trigger. (6 Dec 1998)

90. I was recently reading an article in the newspaper that discussed whether or not diabetics should administer shots and check blood glucose in public. What is your opinion or advice on this? (6 Dec 1998)

91. I am 27 and have had Type 1 diabetes for 15 years. I also have had anorexia nervosa for almost as long. Are there others out there with both disorders? (3 Dec 1998)

92. I am 25 and pregnant with my second child. I recently took my 1 hour test with results of 248. If this is gestational diabetes what are the chances of it going away after the pregnancy? (3 Dec 1998)

93. Our 3 year old daughter is a picky eater, and sometimes does not eat very well. Would changing her from Regular to lispro give us more flexibilty in introducing new foods? (3 Dec 1998)

94. My 4-year old daughter suffers from yeast infections constantly. She has excessive thirst and hunger. My sister did a blood sugar check on her this morning. My daughter was 103. (3 Dec 1998)

95. I recently heard a story where a person was donating one of their kidneys to a best friend who had Type 1 for 22 years. In their story a reference was made that Type 1 diabetic's begin to expierence kidney failure around 20 years after diagnosis. I would like to know if thereis any truth in this. (3 Dec 1998)

96. My 12 year old daughter has had Type 1 for five years. For almost two months now she has been getting migraine headaches. Are migraines common with young diabetic girls? And will they affect blood sugars the way a head cold or illness would? (2 Dec 1998)

97. My husband is 32 and has been a type 1 diabetic for fourteen years. Now he has become blind and I want to purchase a new monitor that will help him somewhat on taking his readings. (2 Dec 1998)

98. Is there a link between diabetes and stroke? (2 Dec 1998)

99. I have had type I diabetes for 22 years. I was just offered a job and I must take a pre-employment physical. Is it possible that I could not be hired because I have diabetes? (2 Dec 1998)

100. Do you have any good resources regarding keeping used syringes at school? We have a couple of new nurses in the region who are going crazy about having the students used syringes around. (2 Dec 1998)

101. I am a school counselor. I am working with a recently diagnosed nine-year-old boy with Type 1. He came to me because he was having nightmares. Is this typical in children with diabetes? (2 Dec 1998)

102. I am a 20 year old type 1. This December I am going to climb mount Kilimanjaro. There is a seven hour difference in time and I was wondering what to do with my dosage. (2 Dec 1998)

103. We were told that the doctor wanted to test my son's Ac1 but that he would have to fast for 12 hours before the test was performed. This doesn't sound right to me. (1 Dec 1998)

104. I am a seventeen year old girl with Type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed with it just four months ago. I was wondering about having children. Is it safe, can my child have diabetes, and can there be lots of complications? (1 Dec 1998)

105. I have gestational diabetes; how do I control what I eat? What type of menu of foods should be included? (1 Dec 1998)

106. My 29 year old daughter just had her diabetes screening test. Her value was 181 and she is scheduled for the 3 hour test next week. Is a high value like hers presumptive of gestational diabetes? (1 Dec 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts