From Puyallup, Washington, USA:

I am a seventeen year old girl with Type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed with it just four months ago. I was wondering about having children. Is it safe, can my child have diabetes, and can there be lots of complications?

Pregnancy is possible with diabetes. With proper attention it can be safe for the mother and the baby. The key elements are tight glucose control prior to conception and during the pregnancy along with close monitoring of the developing fetus for any abnormalities or growth problems. Children of mothers with diabetes are at risk of developing diabetes later in life, but that risk is difficult to predict. Diabetics who are pregnant are at risk of developing certain complications such as preeclampsia (hypertension and kidney disease), but this can be watched for and managed appropriately.

However, given your age, I would recommend that you wait several years before having children. When you are ready to have a family, consult with your obstetrician and diabetologist before trying to conceive.

Posted to Family Planning