From Pennsylvania, USA:

We have recently moved and I have been trying to find a new doctor for my diabetic son, age 17. After several inquires, we made an appointment and were told that the doctor wanted to test my son's Ac1 but that he would have to fast for 12 hours before the test was performed. This doesn't sound right to me.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Studies such as lipid profiles are usually done fasting, and it may be that the physician wanted these results as well as a A1c.

You are correct; an A1c level does not need to be done fasting.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c