Question:

From a school nurse:

Do you have any good resources regarding keeping used syringes at school? We have a couple of new nurses in the region who are going crazy about having the students used syringes around. They agree that it is acceptable practice for the kids to reuse their syringes, but they can't get past the fact that these syringes are "around." My practical mind says if the kid is storing his supplies in the nurse's office, that it is not an issue, but these folks want literature: any wise words?

Answer:

I don't know of any "official" guidelines, but my opinion would be that all used syringes in a hospital/clinic/school nurse office/camp setting should be discarded in a sharps container immediately to minimize the risk of needlestick and spread of infection. If a patient re-uses syringes at home that would be fine.

LM