Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I have had type I diabetes for 22 years and I go to an endocrinologist regularly. He says I am free from complications and in excellent health. I was just offered a job and I must take a pre-employment physical. Is it possible that I could not be hired because I have diabetes? It is not a job that a person with diabetes could not do because of laws or anything. Also, will the doctor performing the physical tell the employer that I have diabetes?

Answer:

It is my understanding that the diagnosis of diabetes is protected under the law passed (American Disabilities Act) several years ago which makes it illegal to not hire or to fire due to diabetes. It is my understanding that the physicial would be protected under the patient/physician privacy laws but it is possible that the lab results would be given to the employer. This would be something to ask at the pre-employment physicial.

As always, it is wise to let people know you have diabetes in case of an emergency. I hope you feel comfortable with sharing that information with your peers and show them that having diabetes does not get in the way of performing your work.

KS