Question:

From Vermont, USA:

I just wanted your opinion on blood glucose monitors. My husband is 32 and has been a type 1 diabetic for fourteen years. Now he has become blind and I want to purchase a new monitor that will help him somewhat on taking his readings.

I thoroughly read the reviews on monitors but there are so many and he currently uses Accu-Chek Easy but can't see to put the drop of blood on or even read the resulting number. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

The Accu-Chek Voicemate system is based on an Accu-Chek Advantage meter and includes a voice unit that provides audible instructions for blood testing. It can also identify an insulin vial. I have seen product literature and ads, but not the actual product. You can contact your local pharmacy or your husband's diabetes nurse educator for more information.

JSH