Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My daughter who is 12 years old was diagnosed a year ago with Type 1 diabetes. I just recently heard a story where a person was donating one of their kidneys to a best friend who had Type 1 diabetes for approximately 22 years. In their story a reference was made that it is a medical fact that Type 1 diabetic's begin to expierence kidney failure around 20 years after their initial diagnosis. I would like to know if there is any truth in this.

Answer:

It was actually true in the past; this information was based upon old statistics from followup of type 1 patients treated with non-intensified insulin regimens. Many longitudinal trials (Steno, Oslo, DCCT) have nowadays shown that good metabolic control, as judged by glycohemoglobin values, is certainly able to dramatically reduce the risk of future complications (as it appears from current statistics) and we really hope that earlier detection and improved dietetic and medical treatment of other risk factors (such as hypertension and elevated blood lipids) will reduce to close to normal for age of the risk of all diabetic complications as well as the mortality rate.