From Tarpon Springs, FLorida, USA:

I am 25 and pregnant with my second child. I recently took my 1 hour test with results of 248. My doctor says I should be under 140. I have diabetes on both my maternal and paternal sides. I was told I may need insulin. If this is gestational diabetes what are the chances of it going away after the pregnancy? What type of harm can it do to my child. I am having my 3 hour fasting test next week. I ate 30 minutes before my 1 hour test. Is this likely to have caused such a rise? Also: I drink a large amount of soda, could this be part of the problem?

With a one hour test of over 200 mg/dl, it is very likely that you have gestational diabetes. Eating before the test can increase your glucose value, but not by much. There is a good chance that this is only gestational diabetes. However, some women have preexisting diabetes, but do not know it until they are tested during pregnancy. Therefore, it will be important to retest you after your delivery. The effects on the baby of gestational diabetes are primarily increased growth and problems with blood sugar control during the early newborn period. It will be important to assess the baby's growth during the pregnancy. Otherwise, with good glucose control using diet and possibly insulin, you should do well during the pregnancy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes