Question:

From Marlboro, Massachusetts, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 one year ago at age 3 (no family history). Within one month of that time, my neighbor's son directly across the street was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 6 (a family history). Both children have the same pediatrician. The pediatrician informed us that he has seen an increase in diabetes among his patients. I think there may be some benefit in tracing a commonality here in the hopes of finding the trigger. To whom can I write to see if this may be beneficial to research?

Answer:

We know in the scientific community that there are environmental and geographic clustering aspects to developing diabetes. There have been several studies worldwide, most of them in Scandanavia, that have investigated nutritional triggers, viral triggers, immunizations triggers, environmental triggers and so on without significant cause and effect being supported. Since we do not have full Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes survellience (that is, we don't really know the specific who, what, where and why of everyone in the US that has diabetes because it is not a reportable disease) the only thing we can do is refer cases to the CDC and NIDDK.

You can also contact the DPT-1 steering committee, who may have studies being conducted in your area. They have many ancillary studies investigating the disease process of diabetes, including prevention and delay of onset. ADA and JDF are also good resources.

HVS