Question:

From Berlin, Germany:

Is it possible for diabetic teenagers (my daughter is 16, Type I) to spend a year at an American high school? We were just rejected by ASPECT solely on the grounds of diabetes.

Answer:

I have never seen this question before but I do have patients who are teenagers with diabetes spend a quarter or more abroad and this is especially common among college students. I think the whole idea is wonderful and should be explored. You would want a host family that is willing to work with the diabetes. I bet quite a few of us who are diabetes educators who would be willing to consider it.

LSF

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare