Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I have a 4 year old niece with Type 1 diabetes. Is there an available gadget used to administer insulin painlessly? What about an oral medication for this type of diabetes?

Answer:

The only devices I'm aware of are needleless injectors, which make a loud noise and can be frightening to young ones and the Inject-Ease. I know of no other "painless" ways to inject insulin at this time.

Inhaled insulin is a possibility and adult trials are taking place right now on the East Coast but it will still be a few years before that method is available.

HVS