From Van Nuys, California, USA:

I'm 34, male, and 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes due to a fatty liver. I'm taking 4 mg Amaryl (a sulfonylurea pill for Type 2 diabetes) once a day and I'm losing weight by eating healthy. I weighed 292 pounds and now I'm 281. My levels have dropped from 392 to 150's and 130's.

My doctor thinks if I lose another 80 pounds I should be back to normal. Is that true? I never drank alcohol, smoked or even ate meats, fish or poultry. No animals for me and despite that every doctor who saw me swore that I was a smoker and a heavy drinker and a heavy red meat eater. Why?

Congratulations on your success in managing your Type 2 diabetes. Many people, just like yourself, are found to have a fatty liver when diagnosed. This is often seen when people have had high blood sugars and should improve as you bring your blood sugar back to normal range and keep it there.

Weight loss is important and so is regular exercise. Though hard for many of us to do, a daily walk of 30-45 minutes will help your body use sugar better and will speed your weight loss. Once you've lost the weight, keep up the exercise to keep the weight off and blood sugar normal. You will still have diabetes but it will be controlled.

Keep in mind that diabetes is a progressive, life-long disease. We have wonderful medications now to help you keep your blood sugar normal but you should never let down your guard. Test your blood sugar at home and learn how food, exercise and stress effect you and your blood sugar. See your physician every 3 months and have a blood test called hemoglobin A1c. This test will tell you your "average blood sugar" over the last 60-90 days.

You did not mention your blood pressure or cholesterol levels. New diabetes research shows thatjust as important as blood sugar levels are blood pressure and blood fats. People with diabetes need to exercise, eat a healthy diet and work with their physicians to achieve normal blood pressure (130/85 or less) and normal cholesteral (lipids) as well as blood sugar.

If you have not worked with a diabetes educator to help you with all this, I encourage you to do so. As a diabetes educator, our job is to help you live with diabetes and work it into your lifestyle. We are not there to say no and to give you lists of things not to do. If you do not already have a diabetes educator, you can call 1-800-TEAMUP4 (sponsored by the American Association of Diabetes Educators) to find one in your area.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Daily Care