Question:

From Temple, Georgia, USA:

I have had diabetes since I was 12, I am now 52. My doctor wants to put me on Rezulin. Everything I have read says that Rezulin is for Type 2 diabetes and I am Type 1. Should I take it or not?

Answer:

Yes, it is true that Rezulin is an "insulin sensitizer" drug used primarily in people with Type 2 diabetes. However, it is now being used occasionally for people with Type 1 diabetes to improve their insulin sensitivity. The people who would most benefit from this additional medication are people who are insulin resistant, people who are usually overweight and requiring a large amount of insulin to control the blood sugar.

If you do add Rezulin to your diabetes treatment, be sure to have your liver function tests done before starting the drug and monthly for 8 months followed by every 2 months for 4 months. Although liver problems are rare with Rezulin, it is best to followed the recommended testing to find out quickly if there are any problems rather than waiting. Also, Rezulin works most efficiently if taken once every 24 hours with the largest meal of the day.

Good luck with your diabetes management. Use your blood sugar results to guide you and learn all you can to understand your personal response to insulins, foods, exercise and stress.

KS

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes