From Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany:

Our son is 5 1/2 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. It will be two years this winter since he was diagnosed.

With the cold season at our door, I wanted to get your opinion on Zinc supplements for treating the common cold. There is so little we can do to relieve a stuffy head and all the other symptoms that accompany a cold, I am hoping this will be an alternative treatment. I know that most of the lozenges have a sucrose base and I wonder how this will affect his blood sugar levels.

I don't believe dietary supplements of zinc would help in relieving your son's symptoms of the common cold. Your pediatrician can surely advise you how to best treat his symptoms of colds in a proper way.

Regarding the sugar base of lozenges, most of them are currently based on sugarless sweeteners and even if sugar based the modest intake through average doses doesn't affect the average blood sugar control.

Posted to Other Medications