Question:

From Beirut, Lebanon:

As an insulin dependant diabetic, 30 year old male and due to my doubts about the validity and the effectiveness of the insulin I buy from the market, I would like to know if there is any material (product) that is capable of detecting the effectiveness of an insulin vial. For example, how can I tell if the insulin vial has been subject to extreme heat and has been refregirated just before I have bought it?

Answer:

The only way to verify the potency of a bottle of insulin is to substitute another insulin vial if your present bottle seems not to control your blood sugar as usual, and see if the new one works as expected. Don't forget to take into account, before thinking about insulin effectiveness, any change in your diet as well as your health status and lifestyle (such as exercise pattern).