Question:

My mother is being treated with medication. Her blood sugar was 160 last week and her doctor upped her medication. Yesterday it was 180 and he didn't seem concerned. She is vomiting heavily quite often and her bowels are running off. I'm very worried since she seems to be going further downhill and not getting any better.

Answer:

I assume your mom has previously been diagnosed with diabetes.

If so, this situation is a medical emergency. Any patient with diabetes who has protracted vomiting and severe diarrhea can develop diabetic ketoacidosis even if the blood sugars appear satisfactory on the first few tests. People with Type 1 diabetes might develop DKA within a few hours, whereas people with Type 2 diabetes might not develop DKA for several days.

Also, it's not clear whether your mom is on pills or insulin from your question; obviously if she were on pills, and has vomiting, it'd be difficult to get the pills to stay down long enough to work, which would make the situation even more unstable.

I'd suggest that any diabetic patient with continuing vomiting plus diarrhea go to an Emergency Room or other health care facility to get intravenous fluids, plus evaluation of how severe the situation really is; it could be life-threatening. Handling such a situation by telephone is, in my opinion, inappropriate.

WWQ