From Illinois, USA:

I'm contacting you regarding an 11 year old girl who has had Type 1 diabetes for several years (since age 6, I believe). Currently, she has problems with peers and temper tantrums. Towards the end of some psychological testing, she became so angry that within a few seconds, turned from a compliant, courteous person to being so enraged that it shocked the psychologist. He was wondering what part the diabetes might play in anger, mood-swings, and depression. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

I am wondering if this young person was experiencing hypoglycemia (which could account for the mood change occuring so precipitously). Do you know?

A sudden drop in blood sugar can cause the behavior you mention. It would be my first hunch. If this had been the case, and if she had been treated with a fast acting sugar source, she would have been her old self again within a relatively short time span.

I have known clients who actually punched someone in a hypoglycemic episode!

Posted to Behavior