Question:

From Glendale, Arizona, USa:

My 5 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about 1 year. She has always complained of "tummyaches" since she was diagnosed. My endo had told me that they don't feel it is related to diabetes. Her blood sugars are usually within normal range when this happens. I've heard other parents say they also experience these unusual "tummyaches" with their diabetic child as well. What could this be? Is this normal? Her bathroom routine is normal. She has had these quite often since the diabetes onset, and the doctor's answer is maybe it's just stress. She is 5. She is not stressed!

Answer:

On the basis of what you report in your letter (tummyaches or stomach pains and its possible relationship with type 1 diabetes) I must say I've never been told by my small patients or by their parents they were suffering from bellyaches more often than the other, nondiabetic, children. There are several different possibilities to talk over with your pediatrician, besides diabetes and "stress". The first one is the composition of her diet; the second possibility is celiac disease; and the third one is some food allergy and/or intolerance. Her bathroom routine roughly speaks against these three but it is worth asking your pediatrician about these other possibilities.

Posted to Aches and Pains