From Chickamauga, Georgia, USa:

My son is 4 years old. He was diagnosed about a year ago. He is currently on NPH/Humalog mix -- 2 shots per day. Controlling blood sugar levels has been difficult. Would carbohydrate counting work while using the mixture of the two insulins? Our endocrinologist seems reluctant to discuss this with us and we recived minimal instruction from the dietician in the hospital.

I think that carbohydrate counting may be beneficial. It is worth a try. It will allow more flexibility in his meals and snacks. You might wish to check with another pediatric endocrinolgist or get a referral to another dietitian to get the help you need.

There are materials on carbohydrate counting available from the American Diabetes Association, but I think it would be best to get personalized help so your questions can be answered.