Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I would like to know if you perhaps would have some answers for me. My niece died a month ago due to complications to diabetes. She was only 10 years of age and never had any health problems. One day, she was diagnosed with diabetes and the next day, went into a diabetic coma. It happened so suddenly and our family still does not have some of the answers to understand "why" this happened and to such a precious child. If you could help me in any way that would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your tragic loss. Such cases are rare but sadly still occur and all doctors looking after children with diabetes are anxious to reduce this risk to an absolute minimum.

Diabetic ketoacidosis can come on quite quickly and once a child begins to vomit they quickly dehydrate and accumulate toxic acid levels in the blood. This can disrupt heart rhythm and the dehydration can cause catastrophic brain problems. I hope that your neice's parents have been offered a full explanation by her hospital of what happened to her and, if not, they should request one.