Question:

From Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA:

I have been frequently getting ketones (40-160 mg/dl) when my blood sugars are in the 100-200 mg/dl (plasma) range. This occurs when I have not eaten for several hours and/or have exercised for 30 minutes. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Answer:

No, at least if this happens rarely. Ketones are due to overutilisation of body's fat storage due to prolonged fasting and insulin deficiency. You'd better discuss your insulin and diet program with your diabetes team. Probably, some snack prior to exercise or over the prolonged fasting period would most likely help avoiding ketonuria (ketones in the urine).

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Exercise and Sports