Question:

From Melbourne Beach, Florida, USA:

Firstly, I was wondering whether Humalog can be administered intravenously in an emergency. Secondly, I read that Humalog can be rendered ineffective if it is left out of the fridge even for short periods of time -- how true is this statement and how would insulin pump patients be affected?

Answer:

There is a lot of misinformation working here. First, Humalog can be left unrefrigerated for as long as 28 days, if it is kept below 86 degrees F, away from direct sunlight and heat. It should never be frozen.

Second, since Humalog is significantly faster acting when administered subcutaneously, there may be a greater risk of excessive effect if given intravenously. However, I didn't see any contraindications for its use in this manner.

MGB

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

And Humalog works fine in insulin pumps. There doesn't seem to be any deterioration of the insulin for the duration that one "syringeful" is in the pump.

WWQ

[Editor's comment: In a recent poll, we found more people using Humalog in a pump than using Regular. JSH]

Posted to Insulin Analogs