Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

My 25 year old daughter has diabetes. I'm worried sick after I learn that she's pregnant. I don't know who is her doctor. Since that she got the impression from me that I'm more concern about her health than the baby that she's going to have. She doesn't want to talk to me anymore. My daughter also have a very low white blood cell count, and that's also contributing to my concern. She hasn't seen a doctor for this matter cause of financial problem. No steady job nor medical insurance. Please, please I need all the advice that I could get.

Answer:

It is important that your daughter obtain help from an obstetrician who works with diabetic mothers. Often such a physician collaborates with an endocrinologist to assist in management of the diabetes. She should also see if she is eligible for assistance from the state (Medicaid or Medi-Cal if she lives in California).

Posted to Family Planning