Question:

From Monterey, California, USA:

I'm looking for information on adult onset Type 1 diabetes. Most Type 1 info focuses on children (as your site does) and most adult diabetes discussions focus on Type 2. My husband (age 50) had pancreatic failure (ketoacidosis) 2 months ago and we're searching for relevant information on this adjustment phase (high glucose level fluctuations; fatigue; motor (legs) and memory problems) as well as longer term issues. There is no confirmed explanation for his pancreatic failure. His treatment is currently 4 doses of insulin (different combinations) per day and he has been unable to work for the past 2 months.

Answer:

If your husband's doctors don't know what caused his diabetes then there is little point in me speculating. However, I think it is important to know if diabetes is the only consequence of his 'pancreatic failure' or does he also have digestive problems? If the latter is true then managing his blood sugars will be far harder than if he only has diabetes and he will need to take oral digestive enzymes as well. Similarly, if he has other system problems (related to his original illness) and is on other medication then all of this may have an impact. Without more information I can't offer specific advice but he should take his blood sugar records to his doctor who has all the facts and ask for his advice.