Can you give me any references to the role of magnesium in diabetes and whether supplements can be useful?

About thirty years ago there was a big push to promote magnesium supplementation in both Types 1 and 2 Diabetes; but even though a degree of deficiency has been well documented over the years the evidence of actual clinical benefit has never been all that convincing.

If you search 'Magnesium deficiency in Diabetes' in PubMed, you will get over 100 references nearly all of which will require a pilgrimage to a medical library. A few of the ones that I thought might be helpful are:

• McCarty MF. Medical Hypotheses 46:89,1992
  • Tusiellor L. Arch.Int.Med 156:1143,1996
  • Nadler JL. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America 24:623,1995
  • White J. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 27:775,1993

Posted to Other Medications