Question:

From Littleton, Colorado, USA:

My 21 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 and has been drinking 6 ounces of sugar free Kool Aid approximately 2 times a day and having 1-2 sugar free hard candies or suckers each day. I've noticed she has had a lot more gas since she started eating these sugar free foods. Could they be the cause? Are some sugar free foods easier on the stomach than others?

Answer:

Yes, some sugar free foods, especially those which use sugar alcohols, can produce gas. I do not know of specific sugar free foods that might be easier on the stomach. You can try a different kind of sugar free drink, as Crystal Light instead of Sugar Free Kool Aid, and see if that helps.

Also, small children also often get in extra air when they eat and that can cause gas.

LSF