Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My daughter was just diagnosed with diabetes 4 days ago, and is terrified of the skin pricks. She is okay with the insulin shots, but says the fingersticks hurt bad. I read, even before she was diagnosed, of a swab that will numb the skin temporarily. Do you have any information for me on this? Is it a good idea?

Answer:

We've sometimes we've advised EMLA cream or an ice cube, or the Inject-Ease device to help with shots. I agree with the ice cubes or maybe EMLA if desperate, but it seems one would forever be putting on EMLA and anticipating the poke. Trying different brands of lancing devices might be an option, or trying the toes or the ear lobe. My experience has been that kids don't like having the ear lobe pricked, but don't seem to mind their toes as much. This diagnosis is so new in this family, I would expect that this is an exaggerated response to a frightening situation for this little one, and will ease with time.

Discuss the options with your diabetes nurse educator.

LW