From Hilo, Hawaii:

Does high altitude affect blood sugar? Could regular work at high altitude cause or bring on Type 2? Diet and exercise seem to be keeping it under control; no medications yet. Many of the workers on the mountain (Mauna Kea) have diabetes. I'm a 56 year old, Caucasian male. Diagnosed one year ago. 5'10" 200lbs (down from 225 one year ago). I walk, fast walk, two miles a day at 13,800 feet, four days a week.

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that indicates altitude has any effect on blood sugar. Diabetes is very common in Hawaii, which is probably why there are so many people with diabetes on the volcano. The key to preventing and controlling diabetes is to maintain a normal body weight, exercise regularly, and eat healthily.

Posted to Exercise and Sports