Question:

From Camden, New Jersey, USA:

My boyfriend has diabetes and, in my opinion, is not under control. We are interested in starting a family and have had unprotected sex for 8-10 months without any success. Please discuss diabetic complications with regard to infertility in men.

Answer:

Diabetes can be associated with infertility in males. Specifically, there can be effects on sperm production and activity. With severe and long-standing diabetes there can be neurologic damage resulting in impotence. If you do not conceive in the next 2-3 months then I would consult with an infertility specialist and be sure to have a semen analysis done as part of the evaluation.

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger

If your boyfriend has not had his thyroid tested recently, I would also recommend that he have it tested as thyroid problems are common in people with diabetes and cause infertility which is usually reversible with treatment.

Additional comment added 24 Dec 1998
Posted to Complications and Family Planning