Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

My grandson is 10 months old. I would like to know symptoms of diabetes in infants. His cousin, age 6, almost went into diabetic coma. Her blook sugar was 700. The baby's grandfather on his dad's side has diabetes. How do we test for diabetes?

Answer:

If you are really concerned, you could purchase a blood glucose meter and check blood sugars occasionally. Two fasting blood sugars greater that 126 mg/dL and/or random blood sugars greater than 200 mg/dL are diagnostic of diabetes. In addition, should your grandson have a flu-like illness especially with vomitting, ask his pediatrician to check a blood sugar.

Please keep in mind, however, that although I understand your concern for your grandson, let me reassure you that diabetes is extremely rare in this age group even with such a strong family history.

SS