Question:

From Bronx, New York, USA:

My 4 year old son had a sugar level of 125. I just took him to the doctor for a fasting glucose blood sugar. What are the chances that this test will show that he is not a diabetic? There is a history of diabetes in my family. How is it that I do not have diabetes but my son can? Please give me some information concerning this issue, for it may give me a little peace of mind.

Answer:

125 mg/dl = 6.9 mmol/L. Strictly speaking this is not in the diabetic range. You have not told us if your son had any symptoms of diabetes or indeed why you took him for a fasting blood sugar. Without this information, I can't say any more.

Regarding your second question -- since only around 1 in 10 new patients with diabetes have a first degree relative with the condition, it is easy to see how it could have skipped you -- if your son turns out to have diabetes.