From Norwich, England:

I'm a diabetic at university and quite frequently go out with my flatmates. They nearly always end up drunk (I'm not trying to be funny here as I do have a genuine question). I tell them I can't really afford to get drunk because of my diabetes and I limit myself to 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks. They put no pressure on me whatsoever, and so my question is: Am I sensible to drink a little? Can I afford to be drunk? Or should I not drink at all?

From a health point of view, not drinking at all is probably the most safe choice. I believe drinking a little is probably not going to hurt you as long as you are aware of your blood sugars and eat when you are drinking. Getting drunk seems like a very bad choice as alcohol acts to shut down the liver's ability to produce glucose and you run the risk of having blood sugars going very low. I think your current choice is probably working okay for you and how nice that you have friends who respect your choices. Maybe they will tire of feeling bad the next day and join you in moderation.