Question:

From Bern, Switzerland:

I am a Pharmacy Student at the Medical Faculty of the Univerity of Bern in Switzerland. I have a cousin who is 16 years old now. She has had Diabetes Type 1 since she was 8 years old. As I visited her and her family, her mother, who is my aunt, showed me an article out of a newspaper. The article was about 5 or more years old!

The article said that an Egyptian Doctor named Seyyid Ferghal found a treatment for diabetes. He made a medicine called "Diabetes plus" out of the extract of a plant. This plant is called "arakes caloliya." It said that this new medicine is able to re-activate the non-working Langerhans-cells, so that after the Treatment, the Diabetes should be completely cured!

My Question is: Do you know, or did you ever hear of such a medicine, called Diabetes plus, or of a Egyptian doctor named Seyyid Ferghal?

Secondly: Is there really no other way of treatment then transplantation? Which is the best way to treat this sickness without any (Xeno-) Tranplantation?

Answer:

Right now the only way to treat type 1 diabetes is to replace insulin with injections. Human pancreatic transplants at this time are still limited to patients who are either also receiving a kidney transplant or have severe complications of diabetes. Research is continuing in the development of both pancreatic transplants from other mammals and improving transplant techniques so that transplantation could be used to cure people with diabetes before they develop complications.

I have never heard of this doctor nor his medicine. If it worked, however, he would have been very famous by now.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations