Question:

From North Conway, New Hampshire, USA:

I recently was told about a study at USC that combined electrotherapy with medication, for the treatment of neuropathy. I cannot find any info on the web about this study and wonder if you have, or if you could point me in the right direction?

Answer:

I believe the study you were referring to was published by Julka IS , Alvaro M , Kumar D from the Department of Medicine, Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center, University of Southern California School of Medicine, USA in J Foot Ankle Surg 1998 May-Jun;37(3):191-4. The article is titled "Beneficial effects of electrical stimulation on neuropathic symptoms in diabetes patients."

In this article they report improvement in diabetic neuropathy using a TENS device (transcutaneous electrical stimulator).

There is another article "Is electrical stimulation effective in reducing neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes?" published by Armstrong DG , Lavery LA , Fleischli JG , Gilham KA from the Department of Orthopaedics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA published in J Foot Ankle Surg 1997 Jul-Aug;36(4):260-3. In this article, the authors describe the beneficial effects of a slightly different kind electrical stimulator in treating diabetic neuropathy.