Question:

From Texas, USA:

I was wondering about the statistics of deaths related to diabetes in the past, and deaths related to diabetes currently. I am diabetic myself, and have been for 7 1/2 years. The reason I ask this question is that I understand that diabetes is the third deadliest disease. Can you help me please?

Answer:

This question is a tough one. I do not have statistics at my fingertips, but you and I both know that people will die of something someday.

The message I want you to receive is that you can live a long and healthy life. I also hope you have some support system in place: ask your diabetes team for more help in answering how to interpret the statistics.

LW