Question:

From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

My son, aged 6, has had Type 1 diabetes for 16 months. His HA1C's have been 5.9, 6.2, 5.9. 6.4 and 7.1. He is on 1/2 unit R and 8NPH in the A.M. and 1/2 R and 6 NPH at dinner. He weighs 63 pounds. Does this increase in his A1C mark the end of his honeymoon period?

Answer:

It's hard to say. A glycohemoglobin of 7.1 could be a sign of the end of the honeymoon. It is still great control.

The question disregards the glucose values: what are the means for various times of the day as well as the variation about the means? I look at the proportions within, above and below the targets. If you are seeing some spread of values, can you perhaps tighten the control. I see some laxity in control during the second year. It there hasn't been any change in effort, then I would be careful not to create too many lows by pushing too hard. Again 7.1 is great.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Honeymoon