Question:

From Florida, USA:

My niece is seven years old, has been on insulin twice daily for 4 years; blood sugar level is not well controlled. My question: Is she a good candidate for insulin by mouth or better yet, insulin pump?

Answer:

Insulin by mouth is only being tested now to prevent, not to treat diabetes. We do not yet know if it will be successful.

As far as insulin pump therapy, we have discussed the issue of how to decide whether to try an insulin pump. I would suggest that you look at previous Ask the Diabetes Team Questions and answers regarding this issue. This is something your niece, her parents, and her doctor would have to decide for themselves after a lot of careful consideration of both the pros and cons.

Posted to Insulin Pumps