From Big Bear Lake, California, USA:

Friends of our family have a daughter, 13, who was diagnosed with type one diabetes around the age of two. She has almost always been a brttle diabetic but since the onset of adolescence, it seems to have gotten worse with blood sugars ranging from 40 to 500 within an afternoon, oftentimes with large ketones. I know of several families who have said that adolescence was a difficult time for diabetics in their households. My question is: Is there any research or information regarding the correlation between the onset of puberty and drastic blood sugar fluctuations and is there a physiological link between the two? If so, are there any special measures to be taken?

Yes there are, and you will find much detailed information about the effect of puberty elsewhere on the pages of Children with Diabetes.

Posted to Puberty